Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Abbie's First "Official" Trip to the Dentist

Abbie had her first "official" trip to the dentist this morning...early this morning. She had been to the dentist before to check on a chipped tooth (see post here), but had never had a routine cleaning and check-up.

Abbie and I had to get up early this morning (well...early for us anyway) and be at the dentist by 7:50. That is when Abbie is usually getting out of bed! (I am sure you can imagine how pleasant she was late this afternoon after her early wake-up call.) Thankfully, Stephen went in late to work and was able to stay home with Carter. We talked about going to the dentist yesterday and this morning. All she could talk about was getting another bouncy ball like the one she had been given last time. She had fun playing in the waiting room and was ready to go back when they called her name.



I was very worried that she would not like the cleaning. I did not know how she would react to leaning back and having someone poking around her mouth. She will barely let me feel around to see if she has new teeth coming in! I was extremely pleasantly surprised that she didn't cry at all during her cleaning! She had a worried look on her face the whole time but cooperated by opening her mouth. She did fine while the dentist was examining her too. The only time she cried was when he wanted her to bite down to see her bite. She didn't understand what he was asking her to do and was not happy when he had to close her mouth for her. She recovered quickly though! I also found out that she is getting her first 2-year molar.

She was very happy to be able to pick out another ball and to carry her fancy new toothbrush home. Hopefully all her visits to the dentist go this well! The rest of the day she talked about the "dentist" and how the doctor looked at her teeth. Great job Abbie! Mommy loves you!

No comments: