Sunday, March 8, 2009

Abbie and Her Big Girl Bed!!!

Have I said lately how big Abbie is getting :) I can't believe my little baby is almost two! She has changed so much just over the last few months. She has adjusted really well to being a big sister. She shows very little jealously and is very interested in everything he does. She is also now talking constantly and in sentences! You would be amazed at some of the things she says...and remembers. She is still talking about the big turtle from last week. We have to drive by his home every day to see if he is out. (I asked her if she wanted a turtle for her birthday and she said yes! I am not sure if Mommy and Daddy want one though!) She is such a little person now. The other day, she was playing in the family room and Steve and I were in the kitchen munching on chips. Without saying a word, she walked right into the kitchen, climbed up on her tower, pulled the chip bag to her and took one out and ate it! It was as if she said walked in and said "What are we talking about guys?" while munching too! It was the funniest thing! She is also ready to be potty trained, although Mommy is not ready for that one. We are saving that for the Summer!

Abbie took another big step to being a big girl by moving to her big girl bed! I had been dreading moving her out of her crib for months, for fear that my excellent sleeper would disappear and be replaced with a little monster who wouldn't stay in her bed. I finally decided it was time because I was having trouble sleeping with Carter in his bassinet next to me. For some reason, I am just on alert when he is there and hear every little move he makes. I decided it was time he move to his big boy bed! So this morning we decided to rearrange the furniture. I made sure to get lots of pictures of Abbie in her crib for the last time this morning!



What I thought would be an easy move turned in to an all day affair! First, we couldn't find the screws for Abbie's "new" bed. It is my childhood bed, and we must have lost them when we moved it up from Houston. Steve spent most of the morning going to three stores trying to find the right screws. Then when we were putting the bed together, the footboard fell against the wall and made a big hole. Great...one more thing for Mommy to fix. Finally, we had her bed put together. Then it was time for the rails (or rail for now. I didn't order the correct extra rail so for now we have her old bumper and pillows trying to keep her from rolling out.)! Abbie is a crazy sleeper. I could not trust that she would not fall out of her bed if she didn't have rails. (I am also hoping that the rails will keep her in the bed longer. She is very skilled at climbing in and out of beds, even our bed that is very high.) Once the rails were up, it was finally time to show Abbie her new big girl bed!!




She loves her new bed and immediately started jumping on it. There is no way to stop that habit, as Mimi encourages it on her bed! Thanks Mimi. I was a little worried how nap time would go but she did great! We read books as usual and then she went right in! We didn't hear a peep out of her for an hour and a half (which is a good nap for Abbie.). She didn't want to get out of her new bed when I went in to get her!
She did just as well sleeping in it at night. She fell right asleep and slept for 12 hours! We went in to check on her a lot during the night. At one point, her head was hanging off above the rail and she was pushed up right against it. Good thing it is strong! Have I mentioned how much I love the extra-long rails! Her bed is really just like a bigger crib. However, I am sure she will figure out how to climb out one of these days!
We are so proud of our BIG girl! She continues to amaze me daily with how much she is growing and how well she is adjusting to all the changes in her life. We love you Abbie!!!

1 comment:

Gauger Family said...

What a big girl! Love the new bed!!