Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carter's Birth Story

Note: This is a very detailed account of the night before and day of Carter's birth. It is mostly for my remembrance, as I also keep this blog as my journal. Feel free to read it in its entirety or just skip to the pictures!
January 27, 2009

7:00 pm - My parents had arrived from Houston a few hours earlier, in the hopes of missing the big ice storm headed our way. Steve and I ran a few errands before dinner: the grocery store to make sure Abbie was well stocked for food, the parking garage at the hospital to drop off Steve's car just in case it was very icy in the morning, and Quizno's to pick up dinner for everyone. We all ate dinner and were putting Abbie to bed. I had been having bleeding and thought it was due to my last exam earlier in the day. It was just a little to heavy for my comfort, so I went ahead and called the doctor on call. She said that it was probably nothing, but to head to the hospital if it would ease my mind. After considering it for a while, I decided we would go ahead and go to the hospital just in case. The freezing rain already falling outside did not help to ease my mind at all. So I quickly packed my bag, yes it was the night before my induction and I had been having contractions for weeks but still had not packed my bag! For some reason, packing my bag would make it too real, and I guess I had just not been ready up until that point. So with my bag packed and Abbie tucked in bed, off we went with my Dad driving us to the hospital in the freezing rain and ice. It was kind of eerie driving there since no one was on the roads. We arrived to a completely quiet Labor and Delivery and were checked in to a room. I was quickly hooked up to the fetal heart rate and contraction monitors. Thankfully, Carter's heartbeat was still as strong as ever. Unfortunately, I also seemed to be having contractions every 2-3 minutes without knowing it. I tried to tell the nurse that this had been going on for weeks, but she kept insisting that the doctor thought I would have the baby that night. I was still in the mindset that I wanted to go home and sleep in my own bed that night. After being advised that with the ice and my contractions it would be better for me to stay the night, I finally gave in. I did convince them to let me sleep without the monitors. I assured the nurse that if I went into labor I would let her know! So there Steve and I were, in a dark and quiet hospital room with ice and freezing rain outside. He was on his little pull-out chair and I was in the hospital bed. You can imagine how much sleep we got that night...

January 28, 2009

6:00 am - After lying in bed all night listening to the nurses talking outside my room, I finally decided to get up and take a shower. I had told the nurse the night before that if I were to stay I must be allowed to take a shower in the morning. I always have to shower in the morning. Steve took a quick shower first. While he was in the shower, the nurse came in and told me the doctor had called and wanted me to be examined and monitored again right then. I must have given her quite a look! I told her I had to take a shower, actually I was probably begging by then! I think she was afraid she would get in trouble with the doctor, but I was finally able to convince her that I would take a very quick shower. I told her just to tell the doctor that I had already been taking one when she came to check on me. She finally agreed, thank goodness. I made Steve get out of the shower right then, and I took the fastest shower of my life! Once I was done and somewhat ready, I was hooked up to the monitor and remained that way for the rest of the day.

8:30 am - My day nurse arrived and told me the doctor had given me the "okay" to start the pitocin. At this point, my contractions from the night before had all but stopped, just like I thought. I was excited to get the process started. She put in my IV, and then it began! Steve and I tried to fill the time. I ate a few popsicles, and we watched some TV.

11:00 am - Knowing the doctor would be arriving soon to exam me and probably break my water, I decided now was the time to go ahead and get the epidural. Honestly, I was kind of afraid I would wait too long and miss my chance! The contractions really hadn't been that bad but I knew I wanted one so why wait. I waited way too long with Abbie and was in a lot of pain for nothing! The anesthesiologist came in and put the epidural in. I think the epidural had been my biggest fear with Abbie's birth and it ended up being no big deal. This time it was also easy, thank goodness. With the epidural in, I knew it was only a matter of a few hours before he would arrive!

12:30 pm - Steve and I were just resting when my blood pressure monitor kept sounding off. I know I have low blood pressure, but there is no way it could have been that low! Other nurses kept coming in to turn it off, so I figured my nurse must be at lunch. A few minutes later, I started to feel a lot of pressure. Having been through this with Abbie, I knew it must be about time. I didn't want to get Steve too worked up though so I just told him to get the nurse. We kept calling her with no answer. I was starting to get worried as I really thought it was time. Finally, after what felt like hours she came in the door. It turns out she was delivering another baby at the exact same time. She checked me and said I was 10 cm and ready to push! We did a few "practice" pushes and then she called the doctor. The doctor arrived around 1:30. I pushed through three contractions, about 10 minutes, and then he was here! I couldn't believe how quickly he had arrived, as it was only 1:44! He weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 20 inches long! I was able to hold him right away, unlike with Abbie. With Abbie's birth, there had been a team from the NICU in the delivery room due to our issues during the pregnancy. It was so nice to experience a completely complication free labor and delivery with Carter! After I held him for a bit, his nurse took him to clean him up and weigh him.


4:00 pm - By this time I had been moved into my recovery room. I was feeling pretty good at this time except for my right leg, which was still very numb from the epidural. It was numb for most of the night, which was very annoying! Finally, my parents brought Abbie up after her nap to meet her little brother! It was so fun to see how she reacted to Carter. She loved looking at him and touching him. She didn't want much to do with me, however. She did not know what to make of seeing her mommy in a hospital bed hooked up to an IV. By the end of her visit, I was finally able to get her to sit on the bed with me. She opened the present Carter brought for her, a doctor bag! Before they left, Steve took Abbie down to the window outside the nursery to look at all the babies. She loved it!





7:00 pm - At this time I was sitting with Maggie in my room just talking. Carter was in the nursery for a bit while I was still recovering. Steve had gone home to help my parents put Abbie to bed. It was the perfect end to a perfect day!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!