Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Elisabeth’s Birth Story: A Letter for My Daughter

My Sweet Elisabeth,

Your birth day was a day filled with so much joy, love and happiness. When I think of the day, the song “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” comes to my mind. I already loved you even before I saw your sweet face, but was completely overwhelmed when I was able to look in your eyes and see you for the very first time. (I am crying right now thinking about it.) Your whole family already adores you. Here is the story of your birth.

I guess you were very comfortable in my belly as you stayed in there until two days shy of 40 weeks! Even then, we had to give you a little nudge to finally make your way into this world. We were scheduled to be induced on Tuesday, March 27th. Mimi had come to stay with us the night before to watch over your brother and sister while we were in the hospital. I actually slept better than I thought I would the night before your birth day, perhaps from sheer exhaustion. Of course, your Daddy can sleep any time and any place! We finally got up for the day at 5 am to call the hospital and see what time we were to come in to be induced. The nurse told us to come in at 7 am. We were packed and ready to go at 6:30. Here is the last picture of you inside my belly right before we left for the hospital!

IMG_5552n

When we left for the hospital it was still dark outside and everyone else at our house was still fast asleep. I was surprisingly calm as we drove down the dark streets. We made a quick stop at Chick-Fil-A so your Daddy could get breakfast. (Your welcome, Daddy.) Next stop was the hospital!

We checked in and got settled in to the room we would stay in the whole time we were in the hospital. The nurse said I was still dilated at 3cm. The doctor stopped by to check on us and also broke my water. Around the same time, the nurse was starting my IV and Pitocin.

We don’t have any pictures of us during labor for a couple of reasons. First, we weren’t really in labor very long at all, only a few hours! Second, I experienced severe shaking during the labor, which led to what I would describe as a panic attack. During the labor process, I got an epidural, which made my lower half numb. Between the violent shaking and not being able to really move my legs, I started to feel very confined in the bed and had a panic attack. Fortunately, this was toward the end of labor. At noon, the doctor stopped by to check me during her routine lunch time rounds. I knew I was having some pain but never imagined she would check me and tell me the head was right there! The last time the nurse had checked me I was at 5 cm and now it was time to push. The doctor and nurse quickly scrambled to get everything ready to go. I only pushed through 4 contractions (about 15 minutes) and then you were here! You arrived at 12:32 pm and weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces and were 20 inches long. Daddy was excited he was able to cut your cord as he had not done so with Abbie and Carter. I was crying with complete joy at your safe arrival. It was a very overwhelming emotional experience. I was feeling a range of emotions from just truly thankful for your safe arrival and excellent health, to complete happiness about seeing your for the very first time. It was a moment in my life I will never forget.

IMG_5553nIMG_5559nIMG_5563nIMG_5570nIMG_5574nIMG_5575n

Once the nurse finished checking your vital signs and getting your stats, it was time for your very first bath! During this whole time you were very alert and curious as to what was going on in the world around you. Once you arrived, you just didn’t want to miss a thing! I think you stayed up for a couple of hours following your birth taking the world in!

IMG_5577nIMG_5579nIMG_5581nIMG_5583nIMG_5585nIMG_5597nIMG_5599n

After all of that, your Daddy and I were finally able to have some alone time with you. We were so excited to get to snuggle with you for the very first time! Your favorite thing to do was lay on my chest. It was my favorite thing too!

IMG_5602nIMG_5604n

Next it was time for the real fun to begin, you finally met your big sister and brother for the very first time. One of Abbie’s books comes to my mind, “Welcome To Your World, Baby.” Welcome to your crazy, but wonderful, world, Elisabeth!

Abbie and Carter had been with Mimi all day, enjoying their usual Tuesday activities of ballet and swimming. They came home for lunch and a nap and then wanted to come to the hospital to see you for the very first time! It was a long 9 months for them waiting for your arrival. I can only imagine what it must have been like to see them for the first time, the people to match the little voices you have heard your entire life.

Abbie was immediately in love with you! She has been waiting for her baby sister to arrive for so long. She loves you so much already and is so proud to be your big sister. Carter was nervous meeting you for the very first time. He did not want to get too close to you. I think he was a little nervous about the hospital and seeing your mommy there, although I tried as best as I could to act like my normal self and not let them see me in any pain. Abbie wanted to hold you the entire time she was there and Carter just played around the room and made a lot of trips to get water with Daddy!

IMG_5606n

Abbie holding you for the very first time!

IMG_5607n

The very first picture of the three of you! Hopefully a lifetime more are to come!

IMG_5610n

You with your very proud big sister!

IMG_5611n

Your big brother and big sister who love you very much!

IMG_5612n

Our course Mimi and Bebe wanted to see you too! They couldn’t wait to hold their youngest grandchild for the first time. You are loved very much by a lot of people, Elisabeth!

IMG_5614nIMG_5615nIMG_5620n

Abbie and Carter also opened the presents you picked out for them (well I guess technically I picked them out for you). Your big sister was too smart for Mommy. She didn’t quite believe my story that you had picked them out!

IMG_5618n

After a little while, it was time for everyone to say goodbye. Abbie had a hard time leaving us and wanted to stay. Carter also popped back in the room several times to give one last goodbye. I think they were eager for us to be home!

Once they left, we had some quiet time and enjoyed a restful (well as restful as possible!) night. It was the perfect end to a perfect day.

I am so thankful to have you in my life. It has been exactly one week since you arrived, and all of our lives have changed for the better. We are so happy and excited to have you in our family, sweet Elisabeth!

All My Love,

Mommy

No comments: