Thursday, February 9, 2012

Abbie and Carter’s Sibling Class

IMG_5086n

Last night, Abbie and Carter went to a big sibling class at the hospital.  I thought it would be good for them to see the hospital again and have a fun experience with babies.

Both of them were very excited to go.  Carter kept telling his teachers at school that he was going to the hospital later.  So sweet!  Abbie said she also told all her friends she was going.

We had to eat a quick dinner and then leave for the hospital because the class started at 6:30.  We were a few minutes early so I was able to finish my hospital pre-registration.  Yay!  I am so glad that is done.  It was so strange to be filling out the birth certificate form!  Even though we are sure her name is going to be Elisabeth Jane, I just couldn’t bring myself to fill that portion in yet. 

Abbie and Carter had a great time in their class.  Each child went around and introduced themselves and said the name of their new baby.  Then, they passed around a baby and practiced how to hold a newborn.

IMG_5088nIMG_5090nIMG_5092nIMG_5096nIMG_5097n

Next it was on to practice changing a diaper and swaddling a newborn.  Abbie did a decent job, Carter not so much.  At one point her just threw the “dirty” diaper around.  He keeps asking me if I am going to be changing the diapers with a worried look on his face!  I assure him that I will change her diapers and all he has to do his love his little sister.  Stephen had to help both of them swaddle their baby.  He could use the practice!

IMG_5103nIMG_5105nIMG_5107n

She looks so grown up holding the baby!

IMG_5108n

Needless to say, Carter will not be holding Elisabeth!

We took another quick tour of the maternity ward and stopped in a room so they could see one.  Then it was back to the room for a quick video about babies and a snack.  The snack definitely helped end the class on a high note!  Both kids seemed to have a positive experience and are very excited for Elisabeth to get here!

IMG_5110n

These shirts arrived today!  I can’t wait for the three of them to wear them.  Abbie wanted her shirt to exactly match her baby sister’s shirt.  You should have seen how excited she was when she saw them!  She kept holding them and giving me hugs.  So sweet!

IMG_5111n

We have had a busy day, even though it really shouldn’t have been.  Carter had a 9:30 appointment with his ENT to check on his hearing and his one tube remaining.  It took almost two hours!  I was so ready to get out of there!  His hearing is good, which is a relief.  However, if his one remaining tube doesn’t fall out in the next few months he is going to have minor surgery to remove it.  Hopefully, it will come out on its own.  After that, we went to the mall quickly to look for shoes.  Then we had to hurry home because we had a handyman coming over to hang Elisabeth’s curtain rod.  After Steve’s attempt at hanging Abbie’s 5 years ago, we just hire someone now!  Then it was time for lunch and naps.  Whew!  I am off to rest!

2 comments:

Gauger Family said...

What a great idea for the sibling class! Carter cracks me up the way he held the baby. Too funny. Love the matching shirts. Will they wear them to the hospital? What is your plan for the kids?? So much to get ready for now!

Leslie said...

This post cracked me up! Love the difference between brothers and sisters. I love that picture of Carter "holding" the baby at the end. :)