Saturday, May 26, 2012

Abbie’s Dance Recital

“We all live in a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine, a yellow submarine.”  Clap and Repeat.

I have been hearing that song for months now as it is Abbie’s song for her big dance recital tonight.  Abbie is in a ballet/tap class this year and her class is performing a tap dance to Yellow Submarine.  She has been learning/rehearsing the dance since around November.  Carter and I have heard the song in the hall and watched many practices in class.  Even Carter can sing the song and do her dance now!  She actually makes him do it with her like a little performance, which is pretty hilarious to watch!

So after months of practice the big day has finally arrived!  Here is a picture of her in her costume.  Of course it is yellow to match the song.  Not my favorite costume (I think she looks like Big Bird!) but Abbie likes wearing it and that is all that matters.  Here is our adorable dancer before the big show with her beautiful flowers Nana and Pop gave her.
IMG_6406nIMG_6415n
Abbie’s dance recital is basically an all day event!  It is held at the huge pavilion in our town (seriously, big acts perform there…I remember coming to see Dave Matthews here in college!) and is quite the event.  Our day started out early because Abbie had to be in full dress/hair/makeup for her rehearsal at 11.  Well we had to be there at 11, she didn’t actually go on stage until close to 12:30!  (The entire show is probably close to 4 hours!)  We had to sit and wait in the heat for what felt like a ton of other dances until it was finally her turn.  Abbie had a blast, however, sitting in the stands with her friends and watching all of the other dancers perform.  She was so excited when it was finally her turn to dance on the big stage!
IMG_6386nIMG_6387nIMG_6389nIMG_6391nIMG_6392n
This picture makes me envision all of the pictures she will take posing with her friends in high school and college!
IMG_6393nIMG_6396n
After a wonderful rehearsal, we went home to eat some lunch and rest for a while.  Stephen, Carter and Elisabeth were having a great time with Nana and Pop while we were gone.

Abbie took a little nap.  Once she woke up it was time to start all over again.  We fixed her hair, did her makeup, put on her costume and headed outside for some quick pictures before it was time to go back for the real performance.
IMG_6419nIMG_6424nIMG_6426nIMG_6431n
I drove Abbie and Carter a little ahead of everyone else so that Abbie could be on time.  Stephen, Nana, Pop and Elisabeth came a little later to avoid having Elisabeth out in the heat and sun for too long.  Mimi, Bebe and Grandmere arrived at about the same time.  Abbie had a very full audience of people who couldn’t wait for her big performance!  I took her backstage a few songs ahead of hers to wait with her class.  She was so excited as I dropped her off and not the least bit nervous!  I am always amazed at how well all of the girls do on such a big stage in front of such a large audience!

She performed the dance perfectly and had the best time dancing on the stage!  Stephen and I snuck up to the front row to video and take pictures.  We were so proud of her and couldn’t wait to go backstage and greet her once her performance was over.
IMG_6463nIMG_6464nIMG_6465nIMG_6467nIMG_6471nIMG_6472nIMG_6478nIMG_6479nIMG_6480nIMG_6485nIMG_6487nIMG_6488nIMG_6489nIMG_6494nIMG_6493n
Giving her teacher, Ms. Carla, a hug after her performance.

Once Abbie’s dance was over, we all left to go to dinner, even though there was still probably 2 1/2 hours left of the show!  We were all ready to relax and eat after a long day!  We went to get our traditional BBQ after her dance recital but had to stop for a few quick pics with the star of the show before we left the pavilion.
IMG_6498nIMG_6495nIMG_6497n
It was such a wonderful night!  Abbie was so excited to have all of her grandparents here to see her perform and we all enjoyed celebrating her achievement.  Even though dance is a lot of work (and money!), I think it is so worth it.  She has fun, learns discipline and commitment, gets exercise, makes friends, …  I am so happy she wants to continue with dance again next year.  I also sheepishly admitted to Stephen that I am so excited to have another daughter to start this all over again with in a few years.  I hope one day soon Abbie and Elisabeth will be performing in the same dance recital (although just the thought of it already makes me exhausted)! 

2 comments:

Gauger Family said...

How cute!! She looks adorable. I can't believe the place the performed! What if it had rained? What a long day!!

Wendy said...

Abbie you are so adorable!