Monday, August 27, 2012

Abbie’s First Day of Kindergarten

Today was Abbie’s very first day of Kindergarten!  I have been thinking about this day for a long time.  The past five years have gone by so fast but have also felt like a lot longer than five years.  I have such mixed emotions about her first day.  On one hand, I am so excited for her.  She loves learning and school and is so excited for all of the fun things she will experience in “big kid” school.  On the other hand, I am so sad that our time together is not going to be the same.  The past five years with her have had their ups and downs, but I feel like we have both grown so much together, her into a smart, sensitive, sweet girl and me into a more confident and loving mom.  I think Abbie and I will always share a very special bond because she is our oldest.  She made me a mom and continues to challenge and teach me new things about my “job” every day.  I am so thankful that I have had the opportunity to share the big milestones and the everyday minutia over the past five years with her.

Of course I had to take plenty of pictures to remember her first day!  We went up to the school right around dusk the night before to take pictures.  It was actually really fun!  Abbie was so excited about starting school the next day, and Carter had a blast running around.  Abbie looked so cute in her first day outfit with her new backpack and lunchbox!
IMG_7620nIMG_7622nIMG_7623nIMG_7626nIMG_7627nIMG_7617nIMG_7631nIMG_7634nIMG_7639nIMG_7640n2IMG_7642nIMG_7648nIMG_7652nIMG_7653nIMG_7659n
Abbie woke up bright and early on her first day of school.  She was so excited!  She ate her breakfast while we quickly got Carter and Elisabeth up and dressed.  Then we were all off to school!
IMG_7662nIMG_7663n
The school was crazy that morning (of course) so we had to park and walk a little bit to school.  Stephen will usually drop her off at school on his way to work in the morning and then she will ride the bus home. 
IMG_7667nIMG_7669n
Naturally, we forgot the present for Mrs. Murphy in the car so Stephen had to walk all the way back to the car to get it, which meant the kids and I had to wait in the hallway.  (I had spent too much time at Walmart at 10:00 the night before my trip and then putting it together while I should have been packing to not give it to her teacher!)  Everyone was getting pretty anxious to walk to Abbie’s classroom!
IMG_7670nIMG_7674nIMG_7675n
Finally, Stephen made it back with the gift and we all walked Abbie to her room!  I think she was the last one to arrive (probably not the last time for that!).  She gave Mrs. Murphy her present and a hug and then hung up her stuff.  After that she sat down at her table and was off to work, just like it was nothing.  I was so proud of her.  My little girl is not so little anymore.
IMG_7676nIMG_7677nIMG_7678nIMG_7680nIMG_7681nIMG_7682n
And just like that, I walked out of her classroom and left my baby with complete strangers for the rest of the day.  Thankfully, I didn’t cry.  With a three year old and a baby still right there to take care of, there was not much time for weighty reflection in the moment.  (Now Elisabeth’s first day of Kindergarten will probably be a whole different story!)  The four of us walked back to the car and made a quick stop for doughnuts before heading home.  I was worried that Carter would be upset with leaving Abbie at school, but he was fine. 
IMG_7684n
Stephen went off to work, and Carter, Elisabeth and I went about our day.  I would occasionally look at the clock and think about what Abbie was doing at school.  By the time it came to meet her at the bus stop, I was so anxious to see her!  Stephen came home so he could meet her at the bus stop, too.  It felt like we were standing there forever waiting for the bus, and then we finally saw it coming down the street!  I was so nervous/worried/excited to hear about her first day.  I just prayed that she had a positive first day.  Her smile coming off the bus said it all!
IMG_7686nIMG_7687n
Abbie had a great first day of Kindergarten and loves her “big kid” school!  (Just wait for the second day story when she gets in troubleSmile)  And we love our big Kindergartner!

1 comment:

Gauger Family said...

Okay I am totally crying reading this! How were you not hysterical? She looks so old and I cannot believe she's old enough for this. Makes me so sad! I'm so happy she had a great day. She looks adorable.