Since we only knew a few people at the school when Abbie started (and even those people were just acquaintances and not in Abbie’s class) I thought it would be nice to have a few of her classmates over to get to know them, and their parents, a little better. I let her choose who she wanted to invite over. She invited Halle and Ainsley from her class, and also her teacher’s daughter, Lauren, who is in another Kindergarten class. I thought Abbie was just inviting Lauren because she was Mrs. Murphy’s daughter, but she assured me that she plays with Lauren a lot during recess. Abbie had been planning her party for weeks before I finally consented, and I knew she had frequently mentioned it to Mrs. Murphy and that she wanted to invite Lauren. Abbie always tells her teachers everything, she is one of those students! Once the date was set, I wrote Mrs. Murphy an awkward email asking if it was okay for Lauren to come over and play. Honestly, I thought it might be a little strange, but Mrs. Murphy was completely okay with it and excited about it. So with that, the party was set!
Carter and Bailey were eagerly awaiting the girls’ arrival and passing the time watching cartoons in our room while Elisabeth napped. Well Carter was excited, I don’t think Bailey was.
The girls arrived just a little after school let out. One by one they came to the door and my house filled with the excited chatter of four little girls, one little brother and one completely confused baby sister who did not know what all the fuss was about. They ran around, played, dress-up, just about anything little girls do. They took a break to make some jewelry out of beads.
Then they decorated Thanksgiving sugar cookies. It was quite the mess, and they were really bouncing off the walls after eating all that sugar and icing!
Steve arrived home with Chick-fil-A just as they finished decorating their cookies. They ate a quick dinner and then ran upstairs to play some more before their parents started arriving to pick them up. It was a crazy and fun evening that left everyone involved absolutely exhausted! Abbie had a great time and was so sad when her friends had to leave. I assured her she could have some friends over again, just not this many at one time until I have had time to recover from tonight! And now I had to promise Carter he could have a party with just boys!
There were several notable events/quotes from the evening, just to give you some idea of the chaos that took place in a short 3 and a half hour period!
- Halle stuck her straw right through her Styrofoam cup filled with Sprite. It took a while before the leaking cup made it to the sink, leaving a sticky mess all across my kitchen!
- After dinner and way too much icing, someone called down “I just threw up in my mouth a little, but it’s okay because I swallowed it.” Usually this would have sent me into a minor panic, but I was too busy dealing with a million other things and let it pass.
- With just 5 minutes before the parents started to arrive, someone didn’t quite make it to the potty in time and had an accident all over the upstairs bathroom. Just add another thing to my already long list of things to clean after this “little” party!

No comments:
Post a Comment