Thursday, July 5, 2012

Diving Board

Abbie and Carter reached a big milestone in every little kids life this summer, jumping off the diving board!  For some reason many of the pools around us don’t have them (Is there a reason newer pools don’t?) but the pool in Mimi and Bebe’s neighborhood does and the kids love to go swimming there.  I don’t know why they finally decided to give it a try, but they did and now they both love it!
Abbie is actually a very good swimmer, although she does not swim to her abilities most of the time.  I have seen her swim the backstroke and butterfly in swim class with ease, but when she is swimming for fun she just plays around.  I never doubted that she could jump of the diving board and swim to the side by herself, but I didn’t really think she would want to.  She definitely surprised me and loves to jump off and swim to the side all by herself!
IMG_6984nIMG_6976nIMG_6977nIMG_6979nIMG_6980n
Carter has to do anything Abbie does, so of course he wanted to try it as well.  He jumps off and someone catches him and then lets him swim to the side.  He is probably close to being able to do it all by himself.  I bet by next summer he will be.  (I need to sign the kids back up for those swim lessons!)  I am not sure how much he actually enjoys it yet.  I think he does it mainly to keep up with Abbie!
IMG_6986nIMG_6987nIMG_6974nIMG_6975nIMG_6978nIMG_6982nIMG_6989n

1 comment:

Gauger Family said...

Cool! The board looks high! Our (we think) used to have a diving board then when they remodeled they took it out. Most pools around here are not allowing diving boards b/c so many kids get hurt on them. I wish we had one but it's something we don't have to worry about I guess!