Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Escape Artist 2

Well I knew it was just a matter of time until we had a repeat performance of a little monkey climbing out of the crib. I still feel like it was just yesterday when we were going through this with Abbie! You can see the original The Escape Artist by clicking on the link below.

The Escape Artist

(On a side note…I sure do miss my little Abbie. Looking at that picture from almost two years ago makes me so sad! Where is the time going? Is she cute or what?!?)

Given that Carter is an even better climber than Abbie, I knew his days confined to the crib would be limited. I did not, however, expect him to climb out of his crib at 14 months! That just seems so young!

The first time he did it I had just put him in for his afternoon nap. He was crying in protest, as usual. I was downstairs with Abbie reading a book. All of a sudden we heard a big thud. It sounded like UPS had dropped a package on our porch or something. So I went to the door to check and there was no package. Just as I was thinking what else the noise could have been, I looked up the stairs to see the knob on Carter’s door turning and him running out. (Carter has been able to open the doors here since the second day we moved in! He figured out very quickly all he had to do was pull down the handle.) Needless to say I was shocked! I went upstairs and put him back in his crib hoping it was just a fluke. Nope! He did it two more times. By then I was so worried he was going to hurt himself basically falling out of his crib that I gave up.

That night Stephen came home early and we came up with the furniture arrangement we fondly refer to as “baby jail”. We both felt so bad having to do this, but the alternative of him hurting himself climbing out was not an option. Neither was going straight to a toddler bed. He was only 14 months! I knew he would end up sleeping on the floor next to his door more than in the toddler bed. So, for now, this is his sleeping arrangement. The crib is turned around so the very high side is facing out and it is pushed up next to the wall. On the other side is his dresser so that he has no means of escape. It makes it practically impossible to change his sheets! Oh well, I feel much better knowing he is safe. He has become very used to it and doesn’t seem to mind it anymore. Maybe in a few months we will let him try a toddler bed. Where has my baby gone!?!

Baby Jail

IMG_7738

Two Little Jail Birds IMG_7734

While I was taking these pictures, Carter decided to show off his other skill of climbing up the changing table. Ugh…I need a break! Is it Mother’s Day again yet?

IMG_7736 IMG_7735

2 comments:

Gauger Family said...

too funny! Good thinking though to turn the crib around. WHATEVER works:)

Lauren said...

Love the Baby Jail! That is too funny :)