Thursday, February 14, 2013

A (Not So) Happy Valentine’s Day

Today is Valentine’s Day.  We are having a rough week in the Schmitt home and are not in much of a mood for celebrating, though. 

Monday morning I took Abbie to the doctor with a fever and congestion.  I thought she just had a virus, but thought it better to take her in.  Well she did have a virus, just THE virus.  Abbie had the flu!  So Abbie and Carter have both now had the flu this Winter, even though they both had the flu shot.  I am not very happy with that scenario right now.

Perhaps the flu shot helped to minimize the severity of the flu because she never had vomiting and was feeling better after a few days.  Unfortunately, she now has another bacterial eye infection.  Abbie has been having eye infections since the middle of December!  She has used antibiotic eye drops and oral antibiotics continuously since then and the infection just keeps coming back!  We know it is not just “normal” pink eye because no one else in the house has ever had an eye infection despite not taking any precautions for prevention.  She has seen her pediatrician for it, who referred us to a local ophthalmologist, who has now referred us to an eye disease specialist downtown.  

We saw the specialist this morning for the second time, and he is now saying we need to do more exploratory things because her eyes themselves are perfectly healthy and the bacteria must be coming from somewhere else in her head.  Great!  Abbie and I are both SO over these eye issues and illness.  I spoke to her pediatrician earlier today and she now has a CT Scan coming up next week to check her sinuses.

Needless to say we have not had a very good day around here.  Abbie was so upset about having to miss her Valentine’s Day party at school.  She has missed so many days for her eye infections and now the flu!  I spoke to her teacher and told her we would stop by after school to pick up her special treat and valentines.  That made Abbie feel a lot better!  The kids also had a few surprises when they woke up this morning.  We still managed to make the day feel special and fun, but honestly I was just so glad when the day was over.  I didn’t even get a picture of Elisabeth on her very first Valentine’s Day!  Hopefully next year is much better!
IMG_9668nIMG_9669nIMG_9670nIMG_9671nIMG_9672nIMG_9674nIMG_9676nIMG_9677n

No comments: