Sunday, November 2, 2008

Things That Make You Go Hmmm...

Oh the joys of being a first-time mom! There is such a learning curve! I bet you are wondering what that is a picture of.

At the beginning of Abbie's school, each parent had to sign up to bring something for one party and to bring playdough one month. I thought it would be a great idea to get all of my responsibilities done before the Holidays and Carter's big arrival. I signed up for the "Harvest" party in October. Cheetos and cute plates, no problem. I also signed up to bring playdough in November. Then I learned the details.

Most months, the colors of playdough are easily made mixing the appropriate color of Kool-Aid and flour, salt, etc. For example, October was orange playdough so you would use orange Kool-Aid. Well for November they wanted brown playdough. Yes, brown. I understand there are many jokes in class this month about poop. Anyway, seeing as no one would ever want to drink brown Kool-Aid, that is not an option. I was supposed to mix just the right amounts of every color of food coloring to make brown. Okay...

So I set out this afternoon to make playdough for Tuesday, among many other things. (Oh the life of a mom.) I mix all the appropriate ingredients together and then add who knows how much of each color of food coloring. I quickly realize I should have mixed the food coloring in the boiling water before adding it to the other ingredients. I ended up with streaks of red, blue and yellow throughout the dough. I quickly boil some more water, throw some food coloring in and mix it with my mess. The picture above shows you what I ended up with!

Being the perfectionist that I am (pre-Abbie), I would have started all over and made the perfect brown playdough. However, I am so over perfection and just trying to make it through the day. So Abbie will be taking that mess to school on Tuesday!

4 comments:

Lauren said...

That's hilarious Lindsay! I tried to make Aidan some homemade finger paint a few months ago with similar results. No more homemade art supply projects for me!
Lauren

Unknown said...

Homemade playdough sounds like a good idea but never quite turns out as good as the commercial stuff! I even remember that from days gone by. . . My playdough was always gritty and -- you are right-- never had the color mixed uniformly. It was a relief to read your story because -- truth to tell- at first I couldn't figure out WHAT the heck the picture was. Abbie and gang will love it anyway! love, NANA

Leslie said...

Hmmm is right. I wasn't sure what that was when I opened this page. I thought it was some weird bread experiment with vegetables actually.

Gauger Family said...

Very interesting. I can't wait to hear what Abbie's teachers said!