About a week ago, I took Abbie and Carter to a new bounce place. We had not been to one since we moved, so probably since January. I knew things would be very different for Carter this time around. The last time we had been in Plano he was not quite one, and even then he was climbing on everything and trying to do what the big kids were doing. I knew I was in for trouble now!
Abbie had a great time and climbed on and slid down every single structure. She was racing around and jumping, just having a great time. Right behind her was her little shadow, Carter. To say that he looks up to his big sister would be an understatement. He just idolizes her and wants to do everything that she does. I don’t think he was technically supposed to be climbing on the bigger structures. However, there was just no way I could keep him off, unless I held him for an hour and half kicking and screaming. So I just let him do what he wanted, praying he didn’t end up with any more broken bones.
As you can see in the pictures, Carter was more than capable of going on every structure there. The one thing he could not quite figure out was how to climb up when there were staggered squares and not a ladder. He just couldn’t understand how to climb up the rock wall-type configuration, and he was not happy about it either!
Carter even climbed up and slid down the two-story slide! He loved it! Abbie is a pro at it now.
We all had a great time and were worn out when we left. The both took great naps that afternoon. We will definitely have to go back soon!
While we were there, I couldn’t help but think back to when I used to take Abbie all the time when she was just about Carter’s age. It made me think about how birth order, along with personality, can have a big impact in a child’s life. When we used to go without friends, Abbie always had to do everything on her own, with no one showing her how to do things. She had to play on her own and entertain herself. It made me appreciate her courage and willingness to try new things back when she was so little. Of course she was always hesitant at first, but eventually she would try new things. Carter is able to watch her do things first and know that he will have fun and be okay. I think that is part of the reason he is such a risk-taker. He knows that if his big sister can do it, so can he. I guess that is an aspect of being a younger child. I also do feel sorry for him though, never getting to experience life as an only child and the only focus of our attention. I guess that is just the way it goes. It is just an amazing experience watching these little people develop the personalities they are going to have for the rest of their life!

1 comment:
How fun! I can't believe he was up there doing all that! I can say that there is no way Gracie would be doing that!!
Post a Comment