Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Little Ballerina

Recently Abbie has become very interested in dancing and ballet, probably just like most three year olds who are also infatuated with everything pink! She took an informal ballet class through the rec center last summer and played through most of it. She has matured a lot since then, however, so I decided it was time to give ballet another chance. Since turning three, she is now old enough to do an independent class in which I do not have to participate.

We signed her up a few weeks ago and went to buy all of her required pink gear; leotard, skirt, tights and ballet shoes. Today was her very first class and her first time to wear her clothes. She was very excited! Steve and I thought she looked adorable!

IMG_7939n IMG_7941n

I decided to put her in the Saturday class because Steve would be home most of the time to watch Carter. I wasn’t sure how she would do, so the last thing I wanted to be dealing with was a squirmy one year old and waiting in the hall for 45 minutes! She was a little shy when we arrived and were waiting in the hall for class to begin. She kept looking around at all the other little girls in their pink ballet clothes. Once the teacher called them into the room, she went right in! I was worried she might hesitate and want me to come in with her, but she did just fine. She seemed very excited to be going to class with all the other little ballerinas.

I was able to watch her class through a window. She had a great time! She was very serious about following the teachers instructions and trying to do her ballet moves properly. She actually performed very well. She had a little difficulty skipping sideways. I think this will help her a lot with coordination. At one point the teacher paired her up with another girl. She showed them how to old both hands and skip together. It was the cutest thing!

She was very engaged the entire 45 minutes of class. She came out of class with a huge smile on her face. I was so excited for her. I am so happy that she found an activity that she really enjoys doing. It was a great way to start our Saturday!

No comments: