Well, much to my surprise, it is that time again. Time to venture into the wonderful world of potty training.
Abbie was a breeze to potty train. She basically trained herself. She woke up one morning when she was about two and a half and decided she wanted to use the potty and never looked back. I take no credit for her potty success!
I have been wondering when and how to attempt to potty train Carter. I have always heard that boys are more difficult but that second children are easier. He definitely is familiar with the potty, as he always sees Abbie using it. I had decided to try it this summer. I wasn’t going to push it, and if he wasn’t ready I was just going to wait. I figured most boys I know were trained closer to three anyway.
I never would have guessed that Carter would decide to start using the potty last night before bed! I don’t know what it was, but he just had the urge to go on the potty and went right away. Then he kept going. I think he went about 5 times in 20 minutes! We were all clapping and cheering for him which contributed to the number of trips. I always take him to go if he says he has to, but figured nothing would come out. Boy was I wrong! He somehow managed to go that many times! Needless to say, I was completely unprepared and had to put him back in his diapers for night time.
We tried using the potty a few more times today and he did very well. We even took a big family trip to Target and Walmart this afternoon searching for just the right big boy underpants. He decided on Thomas the Train and Diego. I washed his new underwear up for him right away when we got home so he was able to try them on before bed tonight. He looks like such a big boy in his underwear! (He even moved to a toddler bed today…more on that later.)
So we are moving ahead with the potty training. From now on we are going to try using underwear all day except for naps and night time (and long car rides). I am sure we will have plenty of accidents, but I truly believe that getting rid of the diapers (and pull-ups) all together is the only way to really potty train. Wish us luck!

2 comments:
Way to go!! It's such a great feeling isn't it?!?
Yea Carter! He is a big boy :)
Post a Comment